Thursday, August 14, 2014

Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk-Moth in Kansas


Here some fatherly advise from Dr. Seuss in his first book, And to Think I Saw it on Mulberry Street

"Marco, keep your eyelids up
And see what you can see."


Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk-Moth in Scotland

Could it be? I think I saw a Bee Hawk-Moth on a Buttonbush in the middle of the day in Kansas?

One expects to see them in Scotland and Britain, but not in Butler County, Kansas. I spotted this furry flying creature lighting for a brief moment on a Buttonbush flower at Lake El Dorado.


Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk-Moth about to land on the Buttonbush 

Bee or not a bee, that is the question? 

It is actually a moth with a name that fits, the Bee Hawk-Moth, a look-a-like that takes advantage of the bee's stinging reputation. How is that for adaption? 

What is this British Bee/Moth doing in Kansas? For that I don't have an answer. Do you?






Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk-Moth in Kansas

No comments:

Post a Comment